Marco Island is a barrier island in the Gulf of Mexico off Southwest Florida, linked to the mainland by bridges south of the city of Naples. It’s home to resort hotels, beaches, marinas and golf courses, as well as a network of inland waterways. A long, sandy beach covers most of the west coast, with resort hotels in the south. Tigertail Beach Park has a tidal lagoon, popular for kayaking and paddle-boarding.
10 Things you’ll love
1. The Climate – Yes, Florida is known for its tropical climate, which is nothing but pure bliss in winter, particularly for people who are used to cold places. However, a lot of Florida is usually too hot for most to be comfortable in the summer, as the heat and humidity are too much to bear. That’s not really how it works on Marco Island, it’s an island that’s surrounded by water. Even in its hottest month, which is August, Marco Island is one of the cooler places in Florida with an average high temperature of just over 90 degrees. You can live here all year if you choose.
2. The Population – Many people think of living in a home where there are no neighbors in sight and no one around to talk to for hours or days at a time. Marco Island is different. More than 17,000 people call the island home, which presents the perfect balance between having a vibrant and lively community but not too big of a population where everything seems cramped and forced. You’ll be able to live here, make friends and see people but still have enough space and quiet to do what you want when you want without interruption.
3. The Safety – You can look at just about any source, and it’ll tell you that the crime rate on Marco Island is extremely low. It’s one of the lowest in Florida and well below the national average for just about every type of crime that exists. That’s something that gives people of all ages the peace-of-mind they deserve – come live here and be safe and secure.
4. The Beach – If you live on an island, you are surrounded by water. What does that mean for residents? Beaches, that’s what it means. You’ll certainly have all the beach-going options you could ever hope for when you live on Marco Island. Real estate here is in-demand at least in part because of the gorgeous Florida sand that massages the coastline. You don’t have to be on vacation to enjoy this type of scene – on Marco Island, it’s a way of life.
5. The Fishing – If you love to fish, it’ll be hard to do better than Marco Island. Real estate offerings here exist in a diverse ecosystem, which means that you can fish however you want. If you prefer going out onto the deep sea, there are charter companies all over the place. If you would rather bounce around in your own vessel, there are also plenty of places with shallower water and smaller fish that you can catch and enjoy. The fishing here is good all year long, so get ready for it to be part of your daily lifestyle when living here.
6. The Vacation Lifestyle – When you walk around on Marco Island, you’ll see people having a good time and enjoying their days. That’s how it works here, whether people are on vacation, retired or working hard on their careers. You don’t have to be grumpy and unhappy to get ahead in life, and the vacation-type lifestyle on this island is a constant reminder of that.
7. The Proximity – When people think of living on an island, they often think of some faraway place that takes days to get to, and that’s when they stop considering this type of life. When you purchase Marco Island real estate, you’re living on an island, but you’re also very close to civilization. You’re a short drive from all that Florida has to offer, you can get to several airports conveniently and, perhaps most importantly, people can come visit you without much trouble.
8. The Affluence – Affluence is a feature here, and even though that’s part of the culture, it doesn’t mean that it’s reflected on the Marco Island real estate market. You can find a home for a relatively reasonable cost, and when you do so you’ll be living among neighbors who generally have college education or more. In addition, the vast majority of the island is either retired or gainfully employed.
9. The Schools – One of the unfortunate labels that Florida gets is that it’s filled with people who are of retirement age, which means that things like schools are overlooked. One of the things that people are often surprised about when searching for Marco Island real estate is that the schools here are high in quality, and the children who attend them get a good, solid education that prepares them for later stages in life.
10. The Vibe – Finally, there’s something else that comes with Marco Island real estate that’s impossible to define, and that’s the vibe that you feel when you’re here. There are no bad days on the island, and it’s a welcome place whether you’re retired, middle-aged or a child. There’s something for everyone here, and you need to come see it for yourself to understand it.